Post by Stefan of Tokyo Whisky Hub
The first day of TIBS/Whisky Live 2013 has just drawn to a close and one thing’s for sure: it’s even better than the previous editions. The new venue is perfect – much more spacious than the Midtown or Big Sight venues – and the list of participants reads like a Who’s Who of whisky anno 2013. Nonjatta will be there tomorrow, too, so keep in mind, what follows are just the highlights of what we experienced today. There’s much more left to explore tomorrow.
- “Almost Five” (cask#2472), 2008/2013 (first cask: 1st fill barrel; second cask: 2nd fill puncheon);
- “Refill Barrel” (cask#2186), 2009/2013 (first cask: 1st fill barrel; second cask: 3rd fill barrel);
- “Refill Hogshead” (cask#705), 2010/2013
The Shinanoya booth was crowded, as always. Make sure you stop by to try the Hanyu 26yo “salon de Shimaji” for pen & Shinanoya. It’s sold out, so unless you managed to get hold of a bottle or two, this is your last chance to try this Hanyu, finished for a year and a half in an ex-Madeira cask: if you love brown sugar on toast, dates, fig logs, raisin bread and the like – and we do! – this is a dram for you. We will spotlight this release in a forthcoming post and give it the attention it deserves.
- Tomatin 30 (Japan-only release, to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Kokubu)
- Talisker 35 (1977/2012)
- Glenglassaugh 45 (1967/2012) The Massandra Connection – Red Port Style Finish
Best visitor attraction is, undoubtedly, the Wild Turkey American Honey booth. Check it out at your own risk.